SEVEN ARCHES AQUEDUCT AND CONDUIT FACADE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256089
Date first listed:
09-Jun-1986
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
SEVEN ARCHES AQUEDUCT AND CONDUIT FACADE, SCOTLAND WOOD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SEVEN ARCHES AQUEDUCT AND CONDUIT FACADE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256089.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 19:36:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
SEVEN ARCHES AQUEDUCT AND CONDUIT FACADE, SCOTLAND WOOD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 28609 39443

Details

LEEDS

SE23NE SCOTLAND WOOD, Meanwood Park 714-1/6/984 Seven Arches Aqueduct and conduit 09/06/86 facade (Formerly Listed as: SCOTLAND WOOD, Meanwood Park Seven Arches Aqueduct and cast-iron culvert)

II

Aqueduct and water conduit over Adel Beck. Aqueduct c1840. By George Leather, engineer; built by Abraham and Mylne. For the Leeds Water Works Company. Rock-faced coursed stone and ashlar. 7 arches supported on attenuated rectangular piers with stepped voussoirs and decking level moulded string course. 3 courses above to closed conduit. C20 safety railings at each end. Water conduit: dated 1866; coursed squared gritstone curbs and revetment walls to stream bed, cast-iron plate approx 10m downstream from the aqueduct. The plate approx 2.5m long and 0.75m deep, with mouldings top and bottom and 3 fielded-panels framed by raised mouldings, the centre enclosing raised lettering: 'LEEDS CORPORATION/ WATER WORKS/ 1866'. Eccup reservoir was built in 1840 to supply clean water (the first alternative to the River Aire) to the centre of Leeds after the cholera epidemics of the 1830s. Improvements to the supplies included the installation of a new mains in 1866, still in use.



Listing NGR: SE2860939443

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465256
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/13004/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Krystyna Szulecka. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].