CHURCH OF ST WILFRID

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1256092

Date first listed: 19-Mar-1981

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST WILFRID, SELBY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST WILFRID
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256092 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2019 at 14:55:43.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST WILFRID, SELBY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 34702 33680

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE33SW SELBY ROAD, Halton 714-1/11/709 (North side (off)) 19/03/81 Church of St Wilfrid

II*

Anglican church. 1938. By A Randall Wells. Coursed thin gritstone rubble, flat roof of asbestos cement covered originally with Permanite, timber tower and spire, shingle cladding. PLAN: 3-bay nave and very narrow, low aisle; crossing with polygonal tower and spire; transepts; choir and round apse. EXTERIOR: windows show Early English Gothic influence in the groups of 5 straight-sided pointed lancets in a relieving arch of stones set on edge and flush with wall face; side windows have large rectangular glazed panel centre. Aisles blind, apse has small pointed window on N and S sides. Single-storey vestry and porch in re-entrant angles of nave, transepts and choir, plain mullioned windows. Timber tower gabled on each face, spire has louvred bell openings. INTERIOR: Expressionist-style massive plastered quoined vaults rise from window-sill level, square-section piers support aisles, shallow pointed arches, round-arched recesses between vaults. Doors, choir stalls, screens of Columbian pine; turned wood screens to lectern and pulpit, chairs of ash. Original flooring was of rubber on asphalt, heating by gas boiler, hot water battery and electric fan, indirect electric lighting. The cost of the structure was »11,700 excluding fees, the furniture and fittings »800 including chairs, seating was for 402 and 34 in choir. (Incorporated Church Building Society: Fifty Modern Churches, 1930-1945: 40).



Listing NGR: SE3470233680

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465259

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Incorporated Church Building Society, , Fifty Modern Churches, (1947), 40

End of official listing