LEEDS INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256106
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
LEEDS INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL, SHADWELL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LEEDS INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256106.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2019 at 04:19:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
LEEDS INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL, SHADWELL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 31700 39566

Details

LEEDS

SE33NW SHADWELL LANE, Shadwell 714-1/7/1096 (South side) Leeds Industrial School

II

Industrial school, now Education Department premises. Dated 1879, altered C20. Probably by RL Adams, Leeds School Board architect. Coursed gritstone, slate roof. 2 storeys with attics, 5 bays with 3, 6, 2, 6, 3 windows. The central and outer bays have pedimented and coped gables, the outer bays project slightly as short cross-wings. Moulded stone surround to entrance, bay 5, left, with overlight, console brackets, entablature and cornice. Former sash windows have C20 frames, plain sills and lintels. Round windows in outer bay gables; carved plaque in centre gable: 'LEEDS/ INDUSTRIAL SCHOOLS/ 1879'. INTERIOR: not inspected. Built as a boarding school, in almost open country with only large houses nearby, for less academic boys who were trained in manufacturing skills. Richard Adams was the most prolific of the Board School architects, this building represents one of his plainer but very imposing almost workhouse-style buildings. 180 boys lived here in 1903.



Listing NGR: SE3170039566

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465273
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/08893/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Geoffrey R. Handford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].