CHURCH OF ST MATTHIAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1256114

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1976

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MATTHIAS, ST MATTHIAS STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MATTHIAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256114 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 02:05:17.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MATTHIAS, ST MATTHIAS STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 27813 34599

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2734 ST MATTHIAS' STREET, Burley 714-1/28/1289 (East side) 05/08/76 Church of St Matthias

GV II*

Anglican church. 1854, N aisle and W porch added 1886. By Perkin and Backhouse; Thomas Moxon of Headingley, builder; woodwork and carvings by Messrs Winn and Pawson. Coursed squared gritstone and ashlar, slate roof. Gothic Revival style. PLAN: nave, chancel, N and S transepts, N aisle, S tower. EXTERIOR: large geometrical traceried windows in W end and transepts. Low N aisle with 3 gables over windows. S tower in nave/transept angle, angle buttresses with gabled heads, geometrical traceried belfry opening and stone broach spire, slightly projecting gabled portal at base. INTERIOR: nave of 5 bays, 2-bay chancel with arch-braced roof, boarded panels painted with shields and gilded; screen at S side tower base, carved and glazed oak doors, traceried infill above; 8-light E window has stained-glass figures of saints, the reredos of carved stone has shallow traceried arches with angels, scrolls, quatrefoils, painted; Caen stone panels with vines and branches, alabaster chancel wall erected 1893. FITTINGS: pulpit designed by JL Pearson RA, 1892: alabaster on polished marble base, theme of Old Testament preachers, in memory of John Smith. Octagonal font of Caen stone, gift of Charles Gascoine Maclea of Leeds; fine angel lectern 1913. MEMORIALS: on W wall of S transept: relief of female figure and angel in Gothic frame with crocketed pinnacles, commemorates Anne Catherine Jane, wife of John Smith Esq of Burley House, banker, d.1854; inscribed with maker's name: 'SPENCE FT. ROME'. The cost of the church was born by John Smith, the banker, William Beckett paid for the steeple. The foundation stone was laid 1853 and the builder was Thomas Moxon of Headingley, woodwork and carvings by Messrs. Winn and Pawson. The additions and alterations in 1886 increased the seating capacity from 450 to 650, a response to the increased population of the area following sale of land by the Earl of Cardigan and construction of streets to S and W. (Aitken, Revd LR: The story of Burley Parish Church, 1854-1954 (leaflet)).

Listing NGR: SE2781334599

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465235

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Aitken, Reverend L R, The Story of Burley Parish Church 1854-1954

End of official listing