SANDFORD ROAD COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256127

Date first listed: 08-Sep-1992

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: SANDFORD ROAD COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, SANDFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SANDFORD ROAD COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256127 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 23:04:01.

Location

Statutory Address: SANDFORD ROAD COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, SANDFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 26504 35479

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2635 SANDFORD ROAD, Kirkstall 714-1/22/907 (North side) 08/09/92 Sandford Road County Primary School and attached railings (Formerly Listed as: SANDFORD ROAD Sandford Road Primary School)

II

School with gate piers, gates and railings. 1882. By Richard Adams. For Leeds School Board. Extension added by 1892 probably by the same architect. Coursed squared gritstone, slate hipped and gabled roofs. In Italianate style; on a steeply sloping and congested site, U-plan, 2 storeys. Facing Sandford Road the paired round-arched entrances are far left, 3 arches of covered playground right, projecting wing left with segmental-arched ground-floor windows and pedimented end bay with round window in gable. A short 1-bay projecting wing right has a similar entrance; 3-window addition extends to street with 2 round arches to ground floor, inserted windows. Facade to Beecroft Street has pedimented gable right and added bay left. Shallow pilasters, continuous string at 1st-floor and eaves levels, gable copings, tall corniced stacks. Stone wall with iron railings and gateway close the forecourt: rails with bud finials, square ashlar piers with recessed panels, deep cornice, rounded capstones. INTERIOR: not inspected. Richard Adams was architect to the School Board 1873-1886; most of his designs were in brick but here the local stone was used; his early single-storey buildings were in a Gothic Revival style but from 1878 Adams used a Classical style for the multi-storey schools on congested sites. A probable influence for the change of style was George Corson's Municipal and Board School Offices, Calverley Street, 1876-1884 (qv). (Williams, D (Leeds Polytechnic Dept of Architectural Studies): Leeds School Board and its Architects 1870-1903 (thesis): 1975-).

Listing NGR: SE2650435479

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465248

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing