FACADE TO BURIAL VAULTS APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES SOUTH EAST OF CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256135

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: FACADE TO BURIAL VAULTS APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES SOUTH EAST OF CHAPEL, ST GEORGES FIELDS

Map

Ordnance survey map of FACADE TO BURIAL VAULTS APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES SOUTH EAST OF CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256135 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 08:14:32.

Location

Statutory Address: FACADE TO BURIAL VAULTS APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES SOUTH EAST OF CHAPEL, ST GEORGES FIELDS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 29305 34780

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2934NW ST GEORGE'S FIELDS 714-1/71/363 Facade to burial vaults approximately 10m south-east of chapel

GV II

Remains of the facade to (probably) the burial vaults of the Leeds General Cemetery, now St George's Fields. 1832-34. By John Clark. Ashlar and gritstone. Approx 10m long and 2m high. 6 rusticated flat arches behind pilasters supporting entablature and cornice, 2-course parapet above. The arches are blocked. The facade is obscured by landscaping embankments at each end and was originally much longer. Baine's map of Leeds (1834) has an illustration of the 'General interior view of the Leeds Cemetery' which shows this facade with 48 openings or recesses and large terminals with statues; the 1847 OS map shows 'Arcade Vaults' of 32 bays, the central section built out and buttressed. (Baines and Newsome: Map of the Borough of Leeds: 1834-; Beresford, M: East End, West End: Face of Leeds During Urbanisation 1684-1842: Leeds: 1988-: 360-62; Ordnance Survey Map of Leeds: 1847-).



Listing NGR: SE2930534780

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465210

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Beresford, M W, East End West End The Face of Leeds During Urbanisation 1684 to 1842, (1988), 360-362
Other
Title: Map of the Borough of Leeds Source Date: 1834 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:

End of official listing