This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE ALGERNON FIRTH INSTITUTE OF PATHOLOGY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE ALGERNON FIRTH INSTITUTE OF PATHOLOGY

List entry Number: 1256142

Location

THE ALGERNON FIRTH INSTITUTE OF PATHOLOGY, ST GEORGES ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465217

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/02/2012

714-1/74/373 SE2934SE

LEEDS ST GEORGE'S ROAD (West side) The Algernon Firth Institute of Pathology

GV II

Institute of pathology. Completed 1932. By John C Procter. Grey-brown coarse brick, structure of reinforced concrete, keyed doorcase of Portland stone, flat roof. 3 storeys, projecting central entrance and staircase bay, 7-window flanking bays and a recessed outer 1-window bay. The windows set in full-height dentilled recesses with panels of herringbone brickwork. INTERIOR: not inspected. Referred to as an early example of the use of reinforced concrete. The building housed pathology, bacteriology and cancer research. John C Procter, FRIBA, of No.40 Clarendon Road (qv), also designed the lighting for Studio 1 at Broadcasting House, Leeds, 1934. (Gosden, PH & Taylor, AJ: Studies in the History of a University, 1874-1974: Leeds: 1974-: 136; Architectural Review Index, Jan-June 1934).



Listing NGR: SE2949734046

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Gosden, P H, Taylor, A J, Studies in the History of a University 1874-1974, (1974), 136
'Architectural Review' in January to June, (1934)

National Grid Reference: SE 29497 34046

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256142 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 06:09:46.

End of official listing