CHURCH OF ST AIDAN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1256175

Date first listed: 26-Sep-1963

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST AIDAN, ROUNDHAY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST AIDAN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256175 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 21:40:48.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST AIDAN, ROUNDHAY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 31656 35254

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE33NW ROUNDHAY ROAD, Sheepscar 714-1/7/1109 (East side) 26/09/63 Church of St Aidan

GV II*

Anglican church. 1891-94. By RJ Johnson and A Crawford-Hick, not completed. Red brick, terracotta, moulded brick and tile decoration, tile roof; ashlar interior and mosaics completed 1916 by F Brangwyn. Italian-Romanesque style. PLAN: nave and chancel in one, apsidal W end, N and S aisles, vestry on S side. Plain round-headed aisle and clerestory windows, pilasters between and moulded string course below. EXTERIOR: main front is W end with narrow round-headed windows to apse in tall decorated arcade, blind arcade above; flanking square-section turrets with blind arcades, circular top stage with louvred windows and conical roof. To left is the base of the intended 61m (200 foot) bell tower: Romanesque-style doorway with double panelled doors, scrolled hinges, tympanum with carved stone portrait bust and caption: 'JAMES RUSSELL WOODFORD VICAR OF LEEDS AD 1868-1873' and motto: 'Look unto the Rock/ from whence you are hewn', niche with statue of St Aidan above. INTERIOR: basilican plan with apsidal east end decorated with mosaics by Frank Brangwyn, 1916, high chancel with screen wall also with figured mosaics; high and wide round chancel arch with tall flanking columns, 11-bay nave arcade of stone columns on high moulded plinths and arches in Byzantine style, narrow aisles; west end baptistry has lavish use of coloured marbles, wrought-iron, stone balustrades. Pulpit with domed canopy also shows lavish use of coloured marbles, alabaster plaques. Fine brass lectern with angels blowing trumpets and high rood screen with full-size figures and kneeling angels. (St Aidan's Church, Leeds, and the Brangwyn Mosaics: Leeds: 1983-).



Listing NGR: SE3165635254

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465206

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
St Aidans Church Leeds and the Brangwyn Mosaics, (1983)

End of official listing