FORMER CEMETERY CHAPEL AND STATUE OF MICHAEL SADLER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256177

Date first listed: 26-Sep-1963

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: FORMER CEMETERY CHAPEL AND STATUE OF MICHAEL SADLER, ST GEORGES FIELDS

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER CEMETERY CHAPEL AND STATUE OF MICHAEL SADLER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256177 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 07:33:54.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER CEMETERY CHAPEL AND STATUE OF MICHAEL SADLER, ST GEORGES FIELDS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 29294 34796

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2934NW ST GEORGE'S FIELDS 714-1/71/364 Former Cemetery Chapel and statue of 26/09/63 Michael Sadler (Formerly Listed as: WOODHOUSE LANE (South side (off)) Mortuary chapel at Woodhouse cemetery)

II

Cemetery chapel, now library store, with statue against the NE side. 1835. Repair and rebuilding to upper walls and roof after a fire c1988. By John Clark for the Leeds General Cemetery Company. Ashlar, Delphstone and millstone grit, grey slate roof. Greek Revival style. Plinth. Portico on NW with 4 giant Ionic columns supporting entablature and moulded pediment, central door in shouldered architrave. SE end has 4 giant pilasters supporting entablature and pediment; 5 x 3 pane glazing between, a window on each return and panels with carved wreaths below each window. The ashlar is continued around each side to meet hammer-dressed gritstone on side walls which have a central recessed rainwater pipe. Statue of Michael Sadler: marble, life-size, draped in Greek style, the base carved with the words: 'PARK SCULPTOR LONDON 1837'. It stands on a cylindrical plinth with inscribed tablet giving details of his career: born Doveridge, Derbys, MP for the borough of Newark and Aldboro, died at Belfast, the memorial erected by his 'numerous private and political friends'. INTERIOR: not inspected. Sadler fought and lost the 1832 election for the Tories in Leeds; he was a linen merchant, member of the corporation, and an Evangelical paternalist devoted to factory reform. A recess on the back of the plinth indicates that the statue is not in its original position. (Beresford, M: Walks Round Red Brick: Leeds University Press: 1980-: 50; Fraser, D (Ed): A History of Modern Leeds: Manchester: 1980-: 276-78).

Listing NGR: SE2929434796

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465209

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Beresford, M , Walks Round Red Brick, (1980), 50
Fraser, D, A History of Modern Leeds, (1980), 276-78

End of official listing