NUMBERS 1-43 AND CROSS ARCADE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1256197

Date first listed: 25-Apr-1974

Statutory Address: 2-42, QUEEN VICTORIA STREET

Statutory Address: 65-69, VICAR LANE

Statutory Address: 98-103, BRIGGATE

Statutory Address: NUMBERS 1-43 AND CROSS ARCADE, 1-43, COUNTY ARCADE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBERS 1-43 AND CROSS ARCADE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256197 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 13:39:39.

Location

Statutory Address: 2-42, QUEEN VICTORIA STREET

Statutory Address: 65-69, VICAR LANE

Statutory Address: 98-103, BRIGGATE

Statutory Address: NUMBERS 1-43 AND CROSS ARCADE, 1-43, COUNTY ARCADE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 30322 33653

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE3033NW QUEEN VICTORIA STREET 714-1/76/139 (North side) 25/04/74 Nos.2-42 (Even)

GV II*

Includes: Nos.98-103 BRIGGATE. Includes: Nos.1-43 and Cross Arcade (northern section) COUNTY ARCADE. Includes: Nos.65-69 VICAR LANE. 2 arcades with shops and offices. 1898-1900, restored 1989-90. By Frank Matcham. For the Leeds Estates Company Development. Pink brick and Burmantofts terracotta, cast-iron, slate and lead roof. 3 storeys and attic, 7 bays to Briggate, 5 bays to Vicar Lane, bay 4 being the round-arched arcade entrance on each facade; shops in same style on right return (Queen Victoria Street) have a Cross Arcade entrance between Nos 24 & 26. Freely styled and richly decorated facades with moulded tiles in the form of swags, strapwork scrolls and plaques. Ground-floor windows restored 1989-90, large 3-light first-floor shop windows, sashes to 2nd floor; elaborate attic storey above corniced eaves has Dutch gables and corner towers. Arcade entrances have an elaborate wrought-iron overthrow with lettering: '1900/ County Arcade', and '1900/ Cross Arcade'; the date and words repeated on the Vicar Lane facade in terracotta above ribbons and swag. INTERIOR: the same style with even more elaborate detailing than the exterior; T-plan arcade with a short access arm (Cross Arcade) to Queen Victoria Street; ornate cast-iron segmental-arched roof trusses, first-floor balconies with elaborate cast-iron balustrades and stone ball finials supported on columns and pilasters of Sienna marble between shop fronts with curved glass windows; 3 glazed domes with mosaics in the pendentives: those at east and west ends being female heads with titles, 'Liberty', 'Peace', 'Commerce', 'Justice' etc., and over the crossing full figures representing aspects of local industries including textiles. Late C20 restoration includes flooring, with a fine circular mosaic with fruit and flower motifs by J Veevers; reconstruction of marble pilasters between shops in artificial materials, 2 bridges across the arcade at east end and south branch, and lighting. Part of the overall design by Frank Matcham for the rebuilding of part of the oldest district in the city, this being the northern section. The architect was a designer of music halls and theatres; the central dome is thought to have been inspired by the 1865 Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II in Milan. The most ornate example of a characteristic form of Leeds architecture which developed from the glazing of rear yards in the early C19; Thornton's Arcade (qv), 1877-78, on the west side of Briggate was the first true arcade. (Dixon, R & Muthesius, S: Victorian Architecture: 1978-: 140).



Listing NGR: SE3042833667

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465185

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dixon, R, Muthesius, S, Victorian Architecture, (1978), 140

End of official listing