MEANWOOD METHODIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256207

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: MEANWOOD METHODIST CHURCH, GREEN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MEANWOOD METHODIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256207 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 00:03:50.

Location

Statutory Address: MEANWOOD METHODIST CHURCH, GREEN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 28591 36958

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE23NE GREEN ROAD, Meanwood 714-1/6/961 (South West side) Meanwood Methodist Church

GV II

Methodist chapel. 1881. By William Hill, extended 1886 by same architect. Meanwood sandstone and Potternewton stone, slate roof. PLAN: on a steeply-sloping site, the building is at the corner with Monkbridge Road. Gothic Revival style. EXTERIOR: plinth. Nave with entrance lobby at NE end, octagonal buttressed turret with stone spire; former Sunday School entrance at W end of Monk Bridge Road facade, the building 2 storeys high at this end. Chapel entrance has 6 stone steps up to board door in arched recess with round window in the tympanum, flanking lancets, tall 3-light wheel window flanked by lancets with quatrefoils, all under hoodmoulds, spire to left and a 2nd narrower entrance far left. Paired trefoil-headed windows to nave, plainer openings to basement and SW end openings. INTERIOR: an impressive wide nave of 6 bays with open roof, the arched ribs having pierced panels; round arch to chancel, column and pointed arch to organ loft. Original pine pews with brass fittings, cleaned c1990, pulpit with quatrefoil panels; repositioned. Screen to entrance lobby altered, gallery with panelled front, stairs with turned newels and balusters. The extensions were to provide a minister's vestry, more rooms for the Sunday School and meetings. (Hopwood, A & Rose, S: Sesquicentenary Story: 150 years of Meanwood Methodism: 1961-: 15).





Listing NGR: SE2859136958

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465149

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hopwood, A, Rose, S , Sesquicentenary Story 150 years of Meanwood Methodism, (1961), 15

End of official listing