This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NUMBERS 3 AND 4 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBERS 3 AND 4 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1256211

Location

NUMBERS 3 AND 4 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 3 AND 4, QUEEN SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1976

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465153

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE3034 QUEEN SQUARE 714-1/29/331 (North West side) 05/08/76 Nos.3 AND 4 and attached railings (Formerly Listed as: QUEEN SQUARE (North West side) Nos.3 AND 4)

GV II

Pair of houses, now premises of Leeds Metropolitan University, with area railings. Early C19, altered late C19. Red brick, Flemish bond, stone details, slate roof, iron railings. 3 storeys, 3 bays each. A mirrored pair with entrances in outer bays. Both houses have stone steps up to 4-panelled door with fanlight in Tuscan surround with three-quarter columns, fluted frieze and open segmental pediment. 4-pane and plate-glass sashes, continuous sill band to 1st floor, stone lintels and sills. Gutter brackets, end stacks. INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: railings: low wall (restored), column standards to plain railings flanking steps; frontage railings have cup-and-cover finials to standards and pierced finials to rails. Part of the development by John and George Bischoff, the NW side built in 2 stages: 2 large houses with warehouses 1806; 3 larger houses added 1815-22.



Listing NGR: SE3002534272

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 30025 34272

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256211 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 12:54:47.

End of official listing