This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

5 AND 6, QUEEN SQUARE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 5 AND 6, QUEEN SQUARE

List entry Number: 1256213

Location

5 AND 6, QUEEN SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1976

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465155

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE3034 QUEEN SQUARE 714-1/29/332 (North West side) 05/08/76 Nos.5 AND 6

GV II

2 houses, now premises of Leeds Metropolitan University. Early C19, altered later C19. By John and George Bischoff. Red brick, Flemish bond, stone details, slate roof. Each house of 3 storeys and 2 bays, the entrance in the left bay and a straight join between. No.5: 4-panel door with fanlight in stone panelled architrave with cornice; sashes with stone sills and wedge lintels, plate glass to ground floor, 4-pane to 1st floor, possibly original glazing bars to 2nd floor, (12-pane left, 16-pane right). Gutter brackets, end stacks. No.6 similar, with console brackets and deep cornice to entrance; the front wall extends to the ridge line of No.7 (qv), at right angles to No.6. INTERIOR: not inspected. Part of the development by the Bischoff brothers, the NW side of the Square begun 1806 and continued until 1822. (Beresford, M: East End, West End: Face of Leeds During Urbanisation 1684-1842: Leeds: 1988-: 334).



Listing NGR: SE3003334278

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Beresford, M W, East End West End The Face of Leeds During Urbanisation 1684 to 1842, (1988), 334

National Grid Reference: SE 30033 34278

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256213 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2018 at 12:20:34.

End of official listing