NUMBERS 7 AND 8 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256216

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1976

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: NUMBERS 7 AND 8 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 7 AND 8, QUEEN SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBERS 7 AND 8 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256216 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 08:28:54.

Location

Statutory Address: NUMBERS 7 AND 8 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 7 AND 8, QUEEN SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 30050 34274

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE3034 QUEEN SQUARE 714-1/29/333 (North East side) 05/08/76 Nos.7 AND 8 and attached railings (Formerly Listed as: QUEEN SQUARE (North West side) Nos.7 AND 8)

GV II

Houses, now premises of Leeds Metropolitan University, with area railings. 1815-22, altered late C19. By John and George Bischoff. Red brick, Flemish bond, slate roof, iron railings. 2 storeys over basement, a narrow 2-bay house left (No.7), a wider 2-bay shop right (No.8). No.7: 2 steps up to entrance, right, with 6-panel door under fanlight, brick round arch with impost and keystone; fenestration: 4-pane sash to ground and 1st floor left, stone sills and wedge lintels; small inserted window above entrance. No 8: similar entrance left, with radial glazing bars to fanlight; wide former shop window right with pedimented and fluted architrave which incorporates a glazed shop sign: 'LYALL & REED'; 2 boarded sash windows above. Gutter brackets, end stacks. INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: area railings: urn finials to standards, spearhead finials to rails. Part of the development by the Bischoffs which included 13 houses filling the north-eastern side of the square. (Beresford, M: East End, West End: Face of Leeds During Urbanisation 1684-1842: Leeds: 1988-: 334).





Listing NGR: SE3005034274

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465158

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Beresford, M W, East End West End The Face of Leeds During Urbanisation 1684 to 1842, (1988), 334

End of official listing