This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NUMBERS 9 AND 10 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBERS 9 AND 10 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1256217

Location

NUMBERS 9 AND 10 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 9 AND 10, QUEEN SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1976

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465159

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE3034 QUEEN SQUARE 714-1/29/334 (North East side) 05/08/76 Nos.9 AND 10 and attached railings (Formerly Listed as: QUEEN SQUARE (North East side) Nos.9 AND 10)

GV II

Houses, now offices, with area railings. 1815-22, altered late C19. By John and George Bischoff. Rendered brick, slate low-pitched roof, iron railings. 2 storeys and basement, each house of 2 bays. No 9: render lined; door on left of 6 fielded-panels, fanlight with radial glazing bars, panelled architrave and cornice; 4-pane sashes in flush moulded frames, wedge lintels and stone sills; stack straddles ridge right. No 10: similar but a 4-panel door and replacement sashes with glazing bars. INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: railings to both frontages: urn finials to standards, moulded spearhead finials to bars. Part of the development by the Bischoffs which included 13 houses filling the NE side of the square. (Beresford, M: East End, West End: Face of Leeds During Urbanisation 1684-1842: Leeds: 1988-: 334).



Listing NGR: SE3007134258

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Beresford, M W, East End West End The Face of Leeds During Urbanisation 1684 to 1842, (1988), 334

National Grid Reference: SE 30071 34258

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256217 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 09:50:40.

End of official listing