HOLGATE WINDMILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256229

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: HOLGATE WINDMILL, WINDMILL RISE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOLGATE WINDMILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256229 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 02:04:33.

Location

Statutory Address: HOLGATE WINDMILL, WINDMILL RISE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 58419 51477

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE55SE WINDMILL RISE 1112-1/1/1186 Holgate Windmill 14/06/54

II

Wind-powered corn mill, now disused. Built between 1770 and 1792 on a site occupied by windmills since the C15; repaired as a landmark in 1939 after milling ceased. Brick, painted with bitumen. Cap covered with painted steel plates. PLAN: circular EXTERIOR: 5 storeys high, battered up to the level of the 3rd stage. At ground-floor level there are doorways with segmental arches on the west and east sides, the western doorway now blocked internally. Most of the windows have segmental heads. To the left of each doorway there is a blocked ground-floor window. The upper storeys have 6 staggered windows. The brickwork is corbelled below the round cap, which has a ball finial. The mill was unusual in having 5 sails, but these were removed following gale damage in 1930 and only the wooden stocks remain. The fantail was also removed, but projecting main timbers remain. INTERIOR: recorded by RCHM as having plastered internal walls, softwood ladders, and 4 upper floors with pine beams and stop-chamfered joists but with floorboards removed. Also recorded as having machinery largely intact, with a pair of millstones of gritstone and a second pair of French Burr stones, an iron main drive, and stone-nuts with a metal frame carrying wooden cogs. This is the last surviving windmill of the many which once functioned around the City of York. (RCHME: City of York: London: 1972-: 57).



Listing NGR: SE5841951477

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465125

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York III South West, (1972), 57

End of official listing