CENTAUR CLOTHING FACTORY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256230
Date first listed:
21-Feb-1995
Statutory Address:
CENTAUR CLOTHING FACTORY, 91, GREAT GEORGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CENTAUR CLOTHING FACTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256230 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 20:15:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
CENTAUR CLOTHING FACTORY, 91, GREAT GEORGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 29476 33959

Details

LEEDS

SE2933 GREAT GEORGE STREET 714-1/35/194 (South side) 21/02/95 No.91 Centaur Clothing Factory

GV II

Clothing factory and offices. Dated 1889. Red brick, ashlar and carved stone details, wrought-iron, slate roof. 6 storeys and attics on a prominent corner site with 4-bay main facade, 8 bays to left return (Leighton Street) and 3 bays to right return (Leighton Lane). Corner entrance at left end of main facade has fluted columns with foliate capitals and console brackets supporting entablature and cornice forming imposts to a keyed arch with elaborate scrolled panel obscured by business sign board. Inner round arch flanked by pilasters and rectangular openings with wrought-iron panels. 5 steps up to panelled inner porch. The 4-window corner bay rises to paired round-headed windows and Dutch gable with ball finial. To right of entrance: 2 paired windows; a 3-window bay which breaks forward and has semicircular gable window and date plaque '1889', chimney right; a massive semicircular 5-window bay with truncated cone-shaped roof, with wrought-iron openwork railing and lantern. Segmental-arched 1st-floor windows, flat-arched to ground, 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors, some paired with brick mullions between, varied to 6th floor; roll moulding at 1st-floor sill level and cornice at 2nd, and 6th-floor levels carried round the left return and 1st bay of right return. Left return: factory entrance far left, 3 plain and 1 Dutch gable. Right return: 1 Dutch and 2 plain gables. INTERIOR: not inspected. The premises of the following: J Campbell and Co., wholesale clothiers, 1890-c1903; c1905-c1927 Gaunt and Hudson, hat and cap manufacturers and wholesale clothiers; c1927-c1966 Thos Marshall and Co (Marlbeck), costumiers; by 1970 the firm was Centaur Clothes Ltd, part of the Baird Textiles group by 1989; it afterwards became an administrative headquarters until 1995. An interesting purpose-built clothing mill representing an important element in the early C20 economy of the city. (Directories of Leeds: 1890-1970).



Listing NGR: SE2947633959

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465126
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/09461/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Hans Van Lemmen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].