TOWER WORKS ENGINE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256245

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1976

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: TOWER WORKS ENGINE HOUSE, GLOBE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWER WORKS ENGINE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256245 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 05:24:55.

Location

Statutory Address: TOWER WORKS ENGINE HOUSE, GLOBE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 29552 33031

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2933SE GLOBE ROAD, Holbeck 714-1/77/841 (North side (off)) 05/08/76 Tower Works Engine House (Formerly Listed as: LEEDS 11 GLOBE ROAD Boilerhouse to north of the Giotto Tower at Tower Works)

GV II

Engine house, now storage and television repair workshop. 1899. Probably by William Bakewell for TW Harding, chairman of the Tower Works, medallions designed by Alfred Drury. Red brick, English bond 1:3, stone gable copings, roof not visible. East end: tall round-arched window, lower part altered to loading door, stone sill, foundation stone with eroded inscription: '...T.W.HARDING ESQRE.J.P./ LORD MAYOR OF LEEDS/ (CHAIR)MAN OF THE COMPANY/ JU(NE) 25th 18(99)...' Doorway right, brick wedge lintel. West end: round-arched recess of glazed bricks, the infill having glazed brick bands. Right return: 3 shallow buttresses with stone caps approx 3m high. Contemporary ranges to south not included. INTERIOR: remains of mosaic floor in red, black and white abstract patterns; walls lined with cream tiles, 5 arcades to each side decorated with brown moulded tiles to dado, impost bands and arches; each recess contains a circular glazed ?bronze plaque with a portrait in relief of a person connected with the manufacture of textile machinery. Lettering on plaques in relief, right, from east end: 'T.R.HARDING/ FOUNDER OF TOWER WORKS/ 1866; T.W.HARDING/ FIRST CHAIRMAN/ 1895; JOSUE HEILMANN/ THE COMBING MACHINE; (obscured)/ SPINNING AND CARDING; ...EL LAWSON/ ...LEY'S SCREW C....'. Lettering, left, from east end: '(RICHARD) ARKWRIGHT/ (obscured); DR.E.CARTWRIGHT/ THE (COMB)ING MACHINE; (obscured)/ (P)OWER LOOM; (obscured)/ THE COMBING MACHINE; (obscured) THE COMBING MACHINE'. Inserted floor, partitions and ceiling obscures plaques, some damaged; names not visible are: Holden, Lister, Donisthorpe amd Fairbairn. William Bakewell was employed to design the extensions to the works in 1899, and in 1902 produced the designs for the City Square, the responsibility of Colonel Harding. Alfred Drury was also commissioned by Harding to design the statues of 'Night' and 'Morn' (qqv) for the City Square, redesigned at this time. The building is a very fine example of the standard of elaboration and workmanship frequently expended on the housing for steam engines in factories and mills throughout the C19. For historical details on the firm of TW Harding see Tower Works Entrance range (qv).



Listing NGR: SE2955233031

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465094

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing