VICTORIA WORKS RANGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256251

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1986

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: VICTORIA WORKS RANGE, 21A, GOODMAN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of VICTORIA WORKS RANGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256251 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 14:46:38.

Location

Statutory Address: VICTORIA WORKS RANGE, 21A, GOODMAN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 31385 32137

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE3132 GOODMAN STREET, Hunslet 714-1/44/865 (North side) 10/01/86 No.21A Victoria Works range (Formerly Listed as: GOODMAN STREET, Hunslet Victoria Mill)

GV II

Part of flax mill complex. c1835-38. For WB Holdsworth. Red brick, English bond, slate roof, stone gable copings with turned-back kneelers. Rectangular range at right angle to street, 14 bays long and 3 bays wide with slightly projecting stair and toilet block at street gable left and a low engine house projection and chimney at rear (north) end. Doorway at centre of street gable has stone lintel and is reduced to a window; a tier of loading doors reduced to windows to left, segmental brick-arched windows to centre and right and to right return, blocked far right, inverted brick arches below those to ground floor; small rectangular windows to stair block. INTERIOR: not inspected but reputed to contain a cast-iron frame with cylindrical columns supporting inverted T-beams and fireproof floor construction. HISTORICAL NOTE: Holdsworth had a mill at Lands Court before moving to the open fields, probably owned by George Goodman, c1835; there were buildings on this site by 1840. By 1862 700 were employed and by 1888 the buildings were used by Titley and Co from Water Lane. In multiple occupation by early C20. (Connell EJ, University of Leeds (unpublished PhD thesis): Industrial Development in South Leeds, 1790-1914: 1975-).



Listing NGR: SE3138532137

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465100

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing