This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BLOCK TO EAST OF THORESBY BUILDING WITH ATTACHED RAILINGS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BLOCK TO EAST OF THORESBY BUILDING WITH ATTACHED RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1256254

Location

BLOCK TO EAST OF THORESBY BUILDING WITH ATTACHED RAILINGS, 2, GREAT GEORGE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1976

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465104

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE3033NW GREAT GEORGE STREET 714-1/76/440 (South West side) 05/08/76 No.2 Block to east of Thoresby Building with attached railings (Formerly Listed as: WOODHOUSE LANE (South West side) City of Leeds School)

GV II

School, now offices, with walls and railings to rear former playground. 1889. By Birchall and Kelly with alterations probably by William Landless. Converted to offices 1994-95 by Leeds Design Consultancy. Red brick, stone dressings, wrought-iron railings. Classical style. 3 storeys, attic and basement; 7 bays, the central 3 and the outer bays break forward, 2 and 3 windows to each bay. Giant Ionic pilasters to ground and 1st floors supporting entablature with small windows in frieze and heavy modillion cornice, full-height windows to storey above, cornice and parapet with iron grilles in open rectangular panels. Central porch with paired Ionic columns supporting entablature with balustrade above, rusticated round arch doorway. Plate-glass sashes throughout. Similar side and rear elevations. West elevation now has principal entrance in C20 extension. INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: playground walls and railings: brick walling with 6 giant square-section stone piers, paired gates and railings with pointed finials between, along Rossington Street (N) and Great George Street (S), railings along W boundary with Thoresby House (qv). HISTORICAL NOTE: the first school purpose-built for higher grade pupils by Leeds School Board, it was completed under the supervision of the recently appointed architect to the Board, William Landless, who appears to have been responsible for the modification to the design in order to accommodate more pupils, a total of 2,500. The pedimented outer and central bays were replaced by an extra storey and the parapeted flat roof provided a girls' playground. Opened by the School Board Chairman, Sir George Cockburn, on 28 June 1889, in 1902 it was renamed the Leeds Central High School and in 1905 was the first Municipal Secondary School in Yorkshire. In 1909 it became a boys' school, the girls being transferred to the former Pupil Teachers' Centre immediately downhill to the W,

Thoresby House (qv). It was renamed the City of Leeds School in 1928. (Williams, D (B Arch thesis, Leeds Polytechnic): Leeds School Board and its Architecture: 1975-: 35; The Palm- magazine of the Woodhouse Lane Central High School: Golden Jubilee Number, Midsummer 1935).





Listing NGR: SE3003133977

Selected Sources

Books and journals
The Palm, (1935)

National Grid Reference: SE 30031 33977

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256254 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 11:51:33.

End of official listing