THORESBY BUILDING WITH ATTACHED RAILINGS AND GATES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256255
Date first listed:
10-Sep-1993
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
THORESBY BUILDING WITH ATTACHED RAILINGS AND GATES, 2, GREAT GEORGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THORESBY BUILDING WITH ATTACHED RAILINGS AND GATES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256255.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 04:07:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
THORESBY BUILDING WITH ATTACHED RAILINGS AND GATES, 2, GREAT GEORGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 29958 33972

Details

LEEDS

SE2933NE GREAT GEORGE STREET 714-1/75/181 (South side) 10/09/93 No.2 Thoresby Building with attached railings and gates (Formerly Listed as: ROSSINGTON STREET (South side) Thoresby Building, City of Leeds School with attached railings)

GV II

Formerly known as: Thoresby High School GREAT GEORGE STREET. Pupil teachers' college, later school, now offices, with yard walls, railings and gates. Dated 1900. By Walter Samuel Braithwaite. For Leeds School Board. Converted 1994-5 by Leeds Design Consultancy. Brick, stone dressings, slate roof. 4 storeys, the principal facade on the E side of 5 uneven bays, the facades to Rossington Street and Great George Street each of 3 bays with 3, 6 and 3 windows. Classical style. Rossington Street facade has Corinthian pilasters and a deep cornice below top storey which has 5-light Diocletian windows and carved gables with 'AD' and '1900' in oval plaques. Similar facade to Great George Street, but stone carved detailing to gables. East front has entrances with stone surrounds, Diocletian windows and carved gables to bays 1 and 5, projecting square-section turrets with Ionic pilasters, louvred ventilators, modillion cornice and ogee roofs to bays 2 and 4. INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: wrought-iron railings and double gates with pointed finials to Rossington Street, with low brick wall and square-section piers with segmental pedimented capstones, linked to the playground boundary at W end; similar shorter length with gate piers and gates at S side of Yard. HISTORICAL NOTE: the Pupil Teachers' College was opened in 1901 for 600 students. 10 ground-floor classrooms held 35-42 students each; on the 1st floor 10 classrooms opened off a balcony extending round 3 sides of the central hall; there were 8 art rooms on the upper floors and the basement housed 4 manual workshops and 2 cookery kitchens. In 1909 the girls from the Central Higher Grade School (now City of Leeds School) were moved to this building and it became the Thoresby High School; in 1972 it was amalgamated with the City of Leeds School (qv).

(Printed and published by Durham's Ltd: Souvenir of the Leeds School Board, 1870-1903; Linstrum, D: West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture: London: 1978-: 372).



Listing NGR: SE2995833972

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465105
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Souvenir of the Leeds School Board 1870-1903
Linstrum, D, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, (1978), 372

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/09460/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Hans Van Lemmen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].