This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GATE APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES SOUTH WEST OF ST MARGARETS CHURCH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GATE APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES SOUTH WEST OF ST MARGARETS CHURCH

List entry Number: 1256259

Location

GATE APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES SOUTH WEST OF ST MARGARETS CHURCH, WALMGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1983

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1997

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465109

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6051NE WALMGATE 1112-1/17/1176 (North East side) 24/06/83 Gate approx 100 metres south-west of St Margaret's Church (Formerly Listed as: WALMGATE Gates & standards to Churchyard of St Margaret's w. St Peter-le-Willows Church)

GV II

Pair of gates, gate piers and overthrow to churchyard of St Margaret's church (qv). 1851-52, restored 1993. By John Walker of the Walker Ironfoundry. Cast-iron. Gates of turned railings with conical finials incorporate bands of Greek key motif. Openwork gate piers, approximately 2.50 metres high, rectangular on plan, of diagonal crossed bars and bands of Greek key, have flat cornice caps. Squat twisted balusters support flat overthrow, cast with the words: "TO ST MARGARET'S CHURCH". (York Historian: Malden J: The Walker Ironfoundry, York, c.1825-1923: York: 1976-: 43).



Listing NGR: SE6090251522

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Malden, J, 'York Historian' in The Walker Iron Foundry York Circa 1825-1923, (1976), 43

National Grid Reference: SE 60903 51521

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256259 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 06:02:23.

End of official listing