ST JAMES HOSPITAL CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256267

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1974

Statutory Address: ST JAMES HOSPITAL CHAPEL, BECKETT STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST JAMES HOSPITAL CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256267 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 12:02:59.

Location

Statutory Address: ST JAMES HOSPITAL CHAPEL, BECKETT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 31723 34679

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE33SW BECKETT STREET, Sheepscar 714-1/11/1102 (West side) 22/11/74 St James' Hospital Chapel

GV II

Chapel. 1858-61. By Perkin and Backhouse of Leeds. Red brick and stone dressings, with decorative blue and white brickwork, slate roof (diminishing courses). PLAN: cruciform plan with apsidal 'east' end. Pedimented gables, cornice. Moulded round-arch Romanesque style windows. EXTERIOR: SE entrance front: steps up to paired round-headed doors in moulded stone arch, attached columns, blind arcade and rose window above, all in elaborate round-arched recess; flanking 2-light windows, moulded cornice to pediment. Tower in S angle with 3-light belfry, clock face above and slated spire; circular stair turret in E angle with round-arched doorway, round window, arcaded 'campanile' and conical roof. INTERIOR: much use of polychrome brickwork (black, red and white): 6-bay nave, carved stone corbels support open trusses with trefoil piercings; wide chancel arch, paired arches to transepts, all with carved capitals with flowers, birds and animals. Carved stone font, square base, attached columns, carved octagonal bowl; pulpit has red and white marble shafts, Gothic arcading to pierced panels, angel supporting book rest. On the N wall: plaque erected by Leeds Board of Guardians to commemorate the nurses of Leeds Township Infirmary who died during the First World War or during the epidemic of influenza, 1917-1918. The Leeds New Workhouse just to the NE was built in 1858, the chapel is probably contemporary; the premises were Leeds Township Infirmary by 1874. (RCHME: Report: St James's University Hospital: 1995-).



Listing NGR: SE3172334679

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465070

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
St James's University Hospital Report, (1995)

End of official listing