ST JAMES HOSPITAL BLOCK NORTH WEST OF CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256271

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1974

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: ST JAMES HOSPITAL BLOCK NORTH WEST OF CHAPEL, BECKETT STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST JAMES HOSPITAL BLOCK NORTH WEST OF CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256271 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 10:54:49.

Location

Statutory Address: ST JAMES HOSPITAL BLOCK NORTH WEST OF CHAPEL, BECKETT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 31736 34719

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE33SW BECKETT STREET, Sheepscar 714-1/11/1101 (West side) 22/11/74 St James' Hospital, block north-west of chapel (Formerly Listed as: BECKETT STREET, Sheepscar St James' Hospital (Blocks 19 and 20))

GV II

Poor Law infirmary, now hospital block. 1872-4, late C20 alterations. By Henry Walker of Leeds, though modified on the advice of Dr Smith medical advisor to the Poor Law Board. Rectangular plan, red brick, stone dressings, slate roof. Pierced stone parapets, modillion cornice. 2 storeys, 4,2,4 windows, centre projects slightly with Dutch gable. 2 Dutch gables to left and right returns, plain surround, overlight and margin lights to left return. INTERIOR: not inspected. An almost identical block immediately to NW has been demolished. This Poor Law infirmary was built next to the workhouse of 1858, now St James' Hospital Northside Building (qv). The foundation stone was laid 04/04/1872 and th ebuilding was opened 26/11/1874. The building cost ยป18,000. (RCHME: Report: St James's University Hospital: 1995-).



Listing NGR: SE3173634719

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465074

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
St James's University Hospital Report, (1995)

End of official listing