ST JAMES HOSPITAL NORTHSIDE BUILDING

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256272

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1974

Statutory Address: ST JAMES HOSPITAL NORTHSIDE BUILDING, BECKETT STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST JAMES HOSPITAL NORTHSIDE BUILDING
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256272 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 19:31:39.

Location

Statutory Address: ST JAMES HOSPITAL NORTHSIDE BUILDING, BECKETT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 31800 34758

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE33SW BECKETT STREET, Sheepscar 714-1/11/1103 (West side) 22/11/74 St James' Hospital: Northside Building

GV II

Workhouse, later hospital and medical museum. Dated 1858.By Perkin and Backhouse of Leeds. Conversion to Thackray Medical Museum, 1995. Red brick with white brick banding, stone dressings, slate roof. 3 storeys, 15 unequal bays, central and flanking bays project, the centre with two 3-storey canted bays and large round-arched window between with entrance below. Doorways with semicircular overlights to bays 2, 6, 8 (centre), 10 and 14 (blocked). Rusticated pilasters. Ornate pierced stone parapet rising to widely spaced Dutch gables with finials. Modillion cornice. Large square central tower with date: 'A.D./ MDCCCLVIII', rusticated pilasters to corner turrets with ogee-shaped roofs each with large wind vane. INTERIOR: not inspected. The Leeds New Workhouse was built to accomodate 800 persons, at a cost of ยป32,000. The foundation stone was laid in 1858 and the building opened 28/03/1861. Later part of the Leeds Township Infirmary, funded by the Poor Law Guardians and built in 1874. Now the Ashley Wing, Elderly Services Department of St James' University Hospital. (RCHME: Report: St James's University Hospital: 1995-).





Listing NGR: SE3180034758

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465075

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
St James's University Hospital Report, (1995)

End of official listing