ST JAMES HOSPITAL SOUTHSIDE BUILDING

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256275
Date first listed:
22-Nov-1974
Statutory Address:
ST JAMES HOSPITAL SOUTHSIDE BUILDING, BECKETT STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST JAMES HOSPITAL SOUTHSIDE BUILDING
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256275 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 23:21:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST JAMES HOSPITAL SOUTHSIDE BUILDING, BECKETT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 31676 34597

Details

LEEDS

SE33SW BECKETT STREET, Sheepscar 714-1/11/1104 (West side) 22/11/74 St James' Hospital: Southside Building

GV II

Moral and industrial training school, now part of hospital. Dated 1848, 1904-06 alterations. By Perkin and Backhouse of Leeds. Red brick, stone dressings, slate roof. 3 storeys, 5 unequal bays with 21 windows, central and end bays project with Dutch gables, octagonal stone turrets with ogee domes and 3-storey canted bays. Centre: tall mullion and transom stair window and round arch doorway with pilasters and finials over entablature, gable inscription with date. Parapet with pierced stone panels, moulded string course, stone window architraves. 2 large ridge stacks with bracketed cornices. INTERIOR: not inspected. Built as Industrial and Moral Training School, foundation stone laid 14/10/1846, opened October 1848. For 499 children, the school cost »14,000. The building is now part of St James' Hospital. (RCHME: Report: St James's University Hospital: 1995-).



Listing NGR: SE3167634597

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465078
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
St James's University Hospital Report, (1995)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/03881/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Steve Novak. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].