GIPTON SPA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256285
Date first listed:
19-Oct-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
GIPTON SPA, GLEDHOW VALLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GIPTON SPA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256285.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 09:04:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
GIPTON SPA, GLEDHOW VALLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 31977 36313

Details

LEEDS

SE3136 GLEDHOW VALLEY ROAD, Gledhow 714-1/20/702 (North East side) 19/10/51 Gipton Spa (Formerly Listed as: GLEDHOW VALLEY ROAD, Gledhow Gipton Well (Waddington Bath))

II

Open air bath. C17 origins, rebuilt probably c1800. Coursed squared gritstone, stone slate roof. A gabled bath house with high wall on S side enclosing the plunge bath approx 3m square and 1.75m deep with a platform on 3 sides. The bath house has an entrance at the SW end with restored quoined jambs, moulded string, circular light in gable and moulded gable coping. On the door lintel a small metal plaque has the inscription: 'GIPTON SPA/ This bath-house was built in 1671/ Ice cold water from a nearby spring/ was conducted here to a sunken bath/ Also inside was a small fireplace/ to sweat the patients after bathing'. The previous List description records an inscribed stone with the words: 'Hoc faecit Edwardus Waddington de Gleadhowe Annovae Domini 1671', not seen at Review. Roof part robbed.



Listing NGR: SE3197736313

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465088
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/05036/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Angela J. Prescott. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].