Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256311.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Dec-2021 at 05:43:27.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Maldon (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 85568 08084



TL8508SE THE STREET, Heybridge 574-1/5/270 (North East side) 02/10/51 Church of St Andrew


Parish church. C12, C15 east end and alterations; C19 south porch and restoration. Rubble flint and septaria with some pudding stone in tower; limestone ashlar dressings; timber porch; plain tile roofs. PLAN: unaisled 2-bay nave and 2-bay chancel in continuous vessel with south porch and truncated west tower with north-west stair turret. EXTERIOR: tower slightly wider than nave, unbuttressed except for large C18 red brick diagonal buttress to south-west. Small quoins. Double-chamfered west door of late C14 set beneath C12 arch with roll moulding. Round-arched window of 2 orders above. To S and N sides: one C13 lancet at low level and C12 round-arched window of 2 orders above. Upper stage shows jambs of blocked openings on sill string course. Capped with pyramidal roof with weathervane and louvred flat dormers. Nave south side: timber porch incorporates one medieval moulded tie beam. South door of 2 orders with impost blocks to stilted over-arch to segmental door head; tympanum with diaperwork; ancient door has C12-early C13 ironwork including C-hinges and pierced scutcheon plate with ring. Two blocked round-headed slit windows cut through by 2 square-headed 3-light C15 windows with heavily-restored tracery. North side: 2 round-headed slit windows. Door has round over-arch with roll-moulded imposts to segmental door head with diapered tympanum. Chancel south wall: 2 square-headed, much restored C15 windows; westernmost cuts through slit window. Blocked round-arched priests' door with foliate coffin slab built into it. C15 priests' door. North wall: 2-light, square-headed window with restored tracery containing fragments of C15 stained glass and ferramenta, cuts through slit window. 5-light east window with largely renewed Perpendicular tracery. Diagonal buttresses. INTERIOR: no tower arch; timber ringing chamber supported on two tie beams, one on posts, the other on short wall posts, with carved spandrels to arch braces. Angle roll to internal angle of stair turret. Upper level of nave has the lower halves of the splayed reveals of irregularly-set clerestorey windows, now blocked. No chancel arch. Rood stairs in thickness of north wall pierced by 2-light Y-tracery window.

C12 stonework including a fragment of former font bowl with saltire cross built into rere-arch. Locker to chancel north wall. North-east window blocked for large monument of 1638 to Thomas Freshwater, in marble with kneeling figures of man and wife in double-arched recess flanked by Corinthian columns, surmounted by achievement and two shields of arms. Piscinae to chancel and nave south walls. Chancel roof in 2 bays of 7 cants with 2 cross-quadrate crown posts with no capitals and moulded tie beams. Hammerbeam truss framing east window. 4-bay crown-post nave roof; 3 of the tie beams have wall pieces with knees in the angles carved with monograms, dated to c1518. C18 twisted-baluster altar rails. Several ledgers of late C17 to Freshwater family. Elegant marble wall plaque to Juline Hering of Heybridge Hall, d.1775. C19 benches, stalls, reredos and panelling. C19 font basin based on fragment mentioned above, on C12 reused stone base resembling upturned scallop capitals. HISTORY: the upper part of the tower fell in the C15, damaging the main vessel, which was restored by Sir Henry Bourchier in the late C15. (RCHME: Essex: 1921-: 136-8; Shortland I: Guide to Church of St Andrew, Heybridge: 1975-).

Listing NGR: TL8556808084


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921), 136-8
Shortland, Guide to Church of St Andrew Heybridge, 1975,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00532/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr R I Slade. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

User contributions are not fact checked and do not represent the official position of Historic England.

Request a correction of the list entry

Read the Enriching the List Terms and Conditions

For any other issue or if you need help, please email: [email protected]

Upcoming maintenance

Enriching The List will be unavailable on 7 & 8 December to allow us to prepare for the launch of an upgraded version.