Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256314.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2021 at 06:30:29.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE 36986 34131



SE33SE AUSTHORPE LANE, Austhorpe 714-1/12/508 (East side) 26/09/63 Austhorpe Hall


Country house. 1694, altered mid C19. Red brick, stone dressings, hipped stone slate roof with heavy wooden modillion cornice. 2 storeys with cellars and attics, 7 bays. Quoins. Pedimented centre bay breaks forward slightly and contains 1 window in upper storey and entrance on ground floor. Panelled door with overlight in eared architrave; pulvinated frieze, plaque with interlaced lettering: J MORE/ 1694, broken pediment. 7 windows in eared architraves, each vertical pair in projecting panel with stone quoins. Wooden mullion and transom windows, leaded panes, some probably original glass. End ridge stacks. INTERIOR: cross-corridor, direct-entry plan with fine detailing to doors (original latches, L- and butterfly hinges), few later alterations; central hall has fireplace with cast-iron grate in plain stone surround, timber and moulded plaster ceiling, fireplace other end blocked. A round archway with double doors opens into staircase, probably mid C19, square balusters, turned newels, ramped handrail, the original staircase removed to The Grange, Seacroft. Front room, right: panelled walls, ceiling cornice, plaster ceiling decoration with leaf mouldings, the windows on the right return are blocked and one is a cupboard. Front room, left: 2 windows to front and left return, shutters, fielded-panelling, bolection-moulded black stone fireplace; opening off through double doors, the rear left 'smoking room', lit by 1 window, shutters, panelling, corner fireplace. From the 'smoking room' a doorway opens into the stone-flagged corridor which is lit by a semicircular west window with glazing bars, stone steps down at east end. First floor, left: full-height panelling, ceiling cornice, bolection-moulded fireplace, small panelled room off is lit by 2 rear windows, the room partition meeting the central mullion of one. The main room, centre front, has panelled walls, bolection-moulded fireplace with shelf over. Front right: lit by 2 windows, 2 in side wall blocked, one of them a cupboard; panelled walls, fireplace, moulded ceiling cornice; rear right: a corner fireplace, lit by 1 window on right return. A secondary staircase rises from the rear corridor to the attics: turned balusters, square newels, console brackets. Cellars below rear rooms contain base of a stone newel stair,

brick-arched rooms lit by 2-light straight-chamfered mullioned windows, one door made from C17 framed panelling. John Cossins' 1725 map of Leeds shows the merchants' houses built at a time when Leeds was developing as the main centre for cloth production and export; this rural version (2 rather than 3 storeys) is a rare survival.

Listing NGR: SE3698634131


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/05032/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Kilgallon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].