ASHLING ASHLING COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256325

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: ASHLING COTTAGE, BACK CHURCH LANE

Statutory Address: ASHLING, BACK CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ASHLING
ASHLING COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256325 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 13:25:05.

Location

Statutory Address: ASHLING COTTAGE, BACK CHURCH LANE

Statutory Address: ASHLING, BACK CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 27547 40198

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE24SE BACK CHURCH LANE, Adel 714-1/2/464 (South side (off)) 19/10/51 Ashling and Aisling Cottage (Formerly Listed as: BACK CHURCH LANE, Adel (South side (off)) Adel Rectory)

GV II

Rectory, now 2 private houses. Late C18 with remains of C17 and possibly earlier house to rear. Coursed squared gritstone and rubble, some herring-bone tooling, ashlar details, stone slate roofs. The present main range, now Ashling, faces south: 2 storeys, 5 bays, central 3 bays break forward with moulded pediment; plinth and quoins. Central mid C19 stone porch with pilasters and entablature; sashes with glazing bars, ground-floor sill band, plain lintels. Ashlar stacks to rear of ridge, at each end of hipped roof. Left return: turned quoins indicate that the main range is of 2 builds; a 16- and a 9-pane sash window; rear wing, left, now Aisling Cottage, has plain surround to entrance right, facade facing rear yard has chamfered doorway with replaced lintel and altered plank door left; the reset original lintel to right has a flattened ogee arch, carved spandrels and inscription: '1652 WC'. Right return: a 2-storey mid-C18 bay window right, small-pane sashes replaced, in Aisling Cottage. INTERIOR: not inspected. William Clarkson is thought to have altered a timber-framed house in 1652; the E side bay window was added by the Rector William Jackson c1740 and a new front range, with stair-hall, Adam-style fireplace and corridor linking to the old range, was added 1766-70 by Sandford Hardcastle. Work continued to c1819 for the Revd George Lewthwaite, roof raised, service buildings added including kitchen with metal-lined shutters, probably the date for the alterations to the C17 doorway and resetting of the lintel. In 1858 the building was remodelled again, for Henry Trail Simpson, including reroofing and the porch added. In 1946-7 the rear wing became a separate cottage and the church sold the building in 1975.



Listing NGR: SE2754840207

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465037

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing