BOUNDARY WALL OF MARSHALL MILLS WITH WORKSHOP AND RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256331

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: BOUNDARY WALL OF MARSHALL MILLS WITH WORKSHOP AND RAILINGS, BACK DERWENT STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOUNDARY WALL OF MARSHALL MILLS WITH WORKSHOP AND RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256331 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 02:35:33.

Location

Statutory Address: BOUNDARY WALL OF MARSHALL MILLS WITH WORKSHOP AND RAILINGS, BACK DERWENT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 29484 32857

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2932 BACK DERWENT STREET 714-1/42/22 (East side) Boundary wall of Marshall Mills, with workshop and railings

GV II

Wall, railing and workshop. c1808 and 1850 with later C19 alterations. For John Marshall's flax spinning mill. Coursed squared grey gritstone and gritstone rubble wall, wrought-iron railing, brick outbuilding (English Garden Wall bond), with grey slate roof built against east side of wall. Wall approx 3m high with flat coping ramped down to railing at north end; overall length approx 50m. Railings: standard and 3 rails with triple points attached to north end of wall by an iron bar. Workshop: single storey, 2 doors and 3 windows; added bay to left. Stone window sills, brick wedge lintels. HISTORICAL NOTE: in 1808 John Marshall extended his flax mill by building the warehouse on the south side of Hol Beck. The wall was probably built at that time, but the alignment was altered to accommodate a row of back-to-back houses, Kellet's Row, in what is now Back Derwent Street, also called Brunswick Street. The workshop was part of a long line of buildings in the yard by 1866. (Grady K: Leeds Civic Trust Historic Plaques: Temple Mill: 1989-).



Listing NGR: SE2948432857

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465043

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Grady, K , Leeds Civic Trust Plaques Marshall Mills, (1989)

End of official listing