8 AND 8A, WALMGATE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256361

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: 8 AND 8A, WALMGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 8 AND 8A, WALMGATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256361 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 20:53:02.

Location

Statutory Address: 8 AND 8A, WALMGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60638 51658

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6051NE WALMGATE 1112-1/17/1150 (North East side) 14/06/54 Nos.8 AND 8A (Formerly Listed as: WALMGATE No.8)

GV II

Formerly known as: No.6 WALMGATE. Pair of houses, now two shops. Mid C18 with later alteration and C20 shopfronts. Orange brick in Flemish bond with timber eaves cornice; hipped pantile roof with end stacks. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 6-window front. Shopfronts incorporate upstairs access door at left end. First floor windows are 12-pane sashes, second floor windows squat 4-pane sashes, all with painted stone sills and cambered brick arches. Moulded dentil and modillion eaves cornice, returned at right end, with two inverted bell rainwater heads, one embossed with cherub head, the other dated 1767. First and second floor raised bands of 5 brick courses, that on first floor broken by later shopfront. INTERIOR: not inspected. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 237).



Listing NGR: SE6063851658

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464981

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 237

End of official listing