THE FIVE LIONS PUBLIC HOUSE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256374

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: THE FIVE LIONS PUBLIC HOUSE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS, 24, WALMGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE FIVE LIONS PUBLIC HOUSE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256374 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 10:32:27.

Location

Statutory Address: THE FIVE LIONS PUBLIC HOUSE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS, 24, WALMGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60655 51649

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6051NE WALMGATE 1112-1/17/1157 (North East side) 14/06/54 No.24 The Five Lions Public House and attached outbuildings

GV II

Inn and rear stable range; subdivided into public house, outbuildings, and shop. Late C18; stables raised in C19, altered and part demolished in C20; inn refronted c1930. MATERIALS: front of buff brick in Flemish bond, rear of red brick in random bond; inn front of painted tile; roof of Roman tile with rebuilt brick stacks at each end. Stables of painted brick, orange and mottled brick in English random and garden-wall bonds; Roman tile roof. EXTERIOR: 2-storey 5-window front. Wide carriage arch between inn front to left, shopfront to right, both curved on plan. Inn front has two 3-light mullion and transom windows with heavy painted sills. Shopfront has glazed door between plate glass windows. First floor windows are 1-pane sashes with painted stone sills and flat arches. Moulded cornice beneath later boxed guttering. Rear: 2 storeys, right end with gabled attic. Shop has 16-pane ground floor sash, attic 3-light mullion and transom window with painted timber lintel; other windows 4-pane sashes. Stable range: 2 storeys, 6 bays. Board stable doors beneath overlights; windows have cambered heads, one retaining slatted shutter. Loft openings blocked by iron sheeting. INTERIOR: not inspected. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 237).

Listing NGR: SE6065551649

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464994

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 237

End of official listing