FOSS BRIDGE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256395

Date first listed: 14-Mar-1997

Statutory Address: FOSS BRIDGE HOUSE, 1 AND 3, WALMGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FOSS BRIDGE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256395 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 04:07:46.

Location

Statutory Address: FOSS BRIDGE HOUSE, 1 AND 3, WALMGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60596 51665

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6051NE WALMGATE 1112-1/17/1146 (South West side) Nos.1 AND 3 Foss Bridge House

GV II

Shop and warehouse. Dated 1878. For WJ Whitehead & Co., Linen-drapers. Red brick, Flemish bond at front, English garden-wall bond elsewhere; shopfront, cornice and dressings of ashlar; slate roof with brick stacks. Wrought and cast-iron gate. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 7-bay front. Ground floor, framed in fluted and rusticated Corinthian pilasters on moulded bases, incorporates goods entrance with iron gate in shouldered opening at left end: 2-light plate glass shop windows flank recessed glazed and panelled double door beneath dentilled cornice with cast-iron cresting, broken by carved console brackets. First and second floors articulated by two tiers of pilasters, tied on first floor by impost band, on second floor supporting moulded architrave and eaves cornice on paired consoles over pilasters. Cornice breaks forward on consoles over 5 central bays and carries balustraded parapet broken in centre by panel surmounted by segmental pediment with acroterion and antefixae. Panel carved with building name and date. On first floor, central windows treated as pedimented Venetian window between coupled squat Corinthian pilasters with keyed moulded central arch and carved frieze over side windows. On second floor, 5 centre windows arcaded on foliate pilasters. Windows are round-arched, 2-light casements with transoms on first floor, 1-pane sashes on second floor, with moulded sills or sill bands. River front to right: 3 storeys with cellar and attics; 9 windows. Cellar windows have segmental arches and stone sills. On ground and first floors, 6 windows at left end recessed between 2-storey pilasters with moulded imposts, rising from ground floor sill band and carrying arcaded second floor hoodmould. Windows are of 2 lights, those on first floor with transoms, with heavy lintels on ground floor and segmental arches on first floor. Third floor windows are 4-pane sashes with segmental arches and stone sills. 4-pane attic sash windows rise as half-dormers into parapets with moulded coping. The building is notable locally for its painted advertising signs on the rear and left returns. INTERIOR: late C19 shop fittings including counters and drawer stacks survive on ground floor.





Listing NGR: SE6059651665

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464972

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing