SUNDAY SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256399
Date first listed:
24-Sep-1971
Date of most recent amendment:
08-Oct-1996
Statutory Address:
SUNDAY SCHOOL, MARKET HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of SUNDAY SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256399 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 00:24:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
SUNDAY SCHOOL, MARKET HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Maldon (District Authority)
Parish:
Maldon
National Grid Reference:
TL 85096 07125

Details

MALDON

TL8507SW MARKET HILL 574-1/7/183 (East side) 24/09/71 Sunday School (Formerly Listed as: MARKET HILL (East side) Sunday School adjacent to the Congregational Church)

GV II

British school, now Sunday school. 1843, "altered and new builded 1890" (plaque). Red brick with gault brick dressings; slate roof. EXTERIOR: single storey; symmetrical 6-bay range with central pier. Stands gable-end to street. Side elevation to yard: entrance to left of centre has door beneath fanlight with lozenge-pattern cast-iron glazing common to all windows. Central projecting pier with gablet, bearing date plaque. Projecting gabled window bays with 3-light cross windows. Rectangular slit windows to right of centre and to end bays, and end angle pilasters. Quoined brick surrounds and splayed stone sills to all windows, stone or concrete lintels; terracotta copings to gables. Front elevation: double-leaf half-glazed doors in wide recessed surround. 4 cross windows, 2 above entrance, louvred lancet to gable and truncated stack above. Rear has 3 large 2-light cross casements, 3-light arched window to gable. INTERIOR: not inspected. Built as British School; next to Congregational Church, now United Reformed Church (qv).



Listing NGR: TL8509607125

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464930
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/07518/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael James. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].