CHRIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256417
Date first listed:
05-Aug-1976
Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, ARMLEY RIDGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHRIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256417.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 08:02:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, ARMLEY RIDGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 26570 33730

Details

LEEDS

SE2633 ARMLEY RIDGE ROAD, Upper Armley 714-1/32/1198 (North East side) 05/08/76 Christ Church

II

Anglican church. 1869-72. By Richard L Adams. Coursed squared gritstone, ashlar details, slate roofs. Gothic Revival style. EXTERIOR: tall nave with tripartite clerestory windows, 2-light lancets to low N and S aisles. Gabled S porch. Tall W tower with large 2-light belfry. Chancel with 3-light lancet E window with oval window above in gable. INTERIOR: re-ordered 1983; a screen cuts off the western 2 bays of the 5-bay nave and tower. W end memorial to William Ewart Gott of Armley House, now The Mansion (qv) 1827-1879 who 'liberally' aided the building of the church, gave the font, the E window is in his memory. Chancel windows to the memory of John Aitchison Gott, 1853-82, Baptistry window in memory of Alexander Gott, priest, 1860-89. Quatrefoil columns, clerestory obscured by inserted ceiling, pulpit of carved oak presented 1936; font of stone, octagonal, carved frieze of leaves, cover 1960. Original pews with moulded pew ends, white marble floor to choir, painted stone reredos has cusped recesses and crocketed finials.



Listing NGR: SE2657033730

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464949
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/06462/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Pennie Keech. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].