This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

AMBASSADOR HOTEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: AMBASSADOR HOTEL

List entry Number: 1256423

Location

AMBASSADOR HOTEL, 123 AND 125, THE MOUNT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Apr-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 464909

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE5950NW THE MOUNT 1112-1/24/1090 (South East side) 21/04/83 Nos.123 AND 125 Ambassador Hotel (Formerly Listed as: THE MOUNT No.123)

GV II

Two houses, now hotel. 1833. Stucco with slate roofs. EXTERIOR: No.123 is of 2 storeys plus attic and cellars and No.125 is of 2 storeys plus cellars. Each has a symmetrical 3-bay facade, with a narrow C20 one-bay one-storey link. The central bay of No.123 is recessed slightly. The outer bays are flanked by giant pilasters and have single-storey timber canted bay windows with cornices and with sashes divided into horizontal-rectangular panes. The 1st floor windows are similar and have architraves. The attic is lit by 3 gabled dormers with casement windows, the outer ones now of UPVC. The recessed centre contains a distyle porch, with fluted columns in antis supporting an entablature. The cornice breaks forwards on brackets at the centre to form a balcony, now without railings. The inner doorway has a divided door, and flanking lights with margin panes. The eaves are coved. No.125 has single-storey sashed canted bay windows to its outer bays, set on panels and with cornices. The 1st floor windows are sashed, and the central bay projects slightly under a narrow pediment. The porch has corner pilasters and a cornice. The outer doorway has a semicircular head with overlight, and panelled reveals. Timber cornice gutter. At basement level C20 additions project forwards under a flat roof which forms a terrace. C20 extensions to the left of No.123. INTERIOR: not inspected. No.125 is included in the list for the first time. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 127).



Listing NGR: SE5937250948

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York III South West, (1972), 127

National Grid Reference: SE 59372 50948

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256423 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2018 at 12:51:31.

End of official listing