HILLSIDE HILLSIDE COTTAGE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND WALL TO CROMWELL LANE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256434
Date first listed:
22-Jan-1980
Date of most recent amendment:
08-Oct-1996
Statutory Address:
HILLSIDE COTTAGE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND WALL TO CROMWELL LANE, MARKET HILL
Statutory Address:
HILLSIDE, 1-8, MARKET HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of HILLSIDE
HILLSIDE COTTAGE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND WALL TO CROMWELL LANE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256434 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 19:34:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
HILLSIDE COTTAGE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND WALL TO CROMWELL LANE, MARKET HILL
Statutory Address:
HILLSIDE, 1-8, MARKET HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Maldon (District Authority)
Parish:
Maldon
National Grid Reference:
TL 85012 07251

Details

MALDON

TL8507SW MARKET HILL 574-1/7/182 (North West side) 22/01/80 Hillside Nos 1-8, Hillside Cottage & attached railings & wall to Cromwell Lane (Formerly Listed as: MARKET HILL (West side) Hillside, Nos 1-6)

GV II

Workhouse, now house and flats. 1719, extended 1834, altered 1874. Timber-framed and rendered with Welsh slate gabled roofs. Main range parallel with street with 2nd parallel range (Hillside Cottage) to rear and T-shaped extension at north-east end. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with cellar; 7-window range. 2nd floor has seven 2-light casements with label moulding, 5 of which have small panes in upper part. Two 3-storey canted bay windows with hipped lead roofs, originally with similar windows but now much simplified. 1st floor has 7 similar windows, 2 of which are altered. The ground floor has doorcase of 1719 with moulded hood on consoles, 4-pane fanlight to door with 2 moulded panels over 2 flush panels and 2 stone steps with iron handrails; 4 early C19 door surrounds with flat hoods and doors have margin-glazed upper panel. 2 wide 4-light casements with label mouldings and small panes in upper part. The early C19 extension to the north-east has full-height pilasters and gable with circular window. The ground, 1st and 2nd floors each have two 2-light casements with label mouldings; 2 plain 2-light casements to exposed basement level. The recessed elevation to the north has a 2-light casement with label moulding on each floor, over a flat-headed carriage arch to rear yard. The parallel rear range (former Masters House) is of 3 storeys with cellars with a principal elevation facing north-west. On the 2nd and 3rd floors, there are three 16-pane sash windows with moulded surrounds. The ground floor has a central early C19 doorcase with hood on consoles, moulded architrave and 4-panel door. Flight of C19 stone steps with elegant contemporary handrails. One 16-pane sash window and segmental bow window with small-paned tripartite sash and flat roof. The exposed basement level has pair of small-paned French window and door with small-paned side lights under bow window.

The rear of the complex, otherwise, has 2-light casements without label mouldings, a projecting early C19 toilet extension and 3 tall, substantial red brick stacks. Hillside Cottage is former workhouse reception/utility and laundry room and is of 2 storeys with slate roof, gabled to north-west and hipped to east. Red Flemish-bond brick, now substantially rendered with C20 small-paned sash windows. INTERIOR: main range has 2-storey hardwood timber-frame of 1717 with chamfered spine beams and substantial hanging knees under tie beams. In 1834 a further storey of good quality softwood timber-framing was added to this, with cambered tie beams. Wide staircases of the 1834 improvements and heavy doors of 2 layers of thick rebated boarding on large iron hinges. The plan form of the former Master's House remains substantially unaltered but subdivided, with many early C19 features. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: the front forecourt has stone-slab paving and late C19 cast-iron railings. Red-brick boundary wall to Cromwell Lane (partly retaining) links main range with cottage and projects beyond. HISTORY: the main range is former purpose-built workhouse of 1719 financed from the residue of the estate of Thomas Plume (qv Plume Library, High Street). In 1834 the complex was extended, heightened, and improved to form the Union workhouse. In 1874 the complex was subdivided vertically to form residential units following the opening of St Peter's Workhouse.



Listing NGR: TL8501207251

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464923
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/07518/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael James. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].