Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256439.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Dec-2021 at 12:11:04.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

York (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE 59256 50917



SE5950NW THE MOUNT 1112-1/24/1100 (North West side) 01/07/68 Elm Bank Hotel


House, now hotel. c1870; remodelled 1898 for Sidney Leetham by WG and AJ Penty, with internal decoration by George Walton. C20 alterations. White brick in Flemish bond with ashlar dressings; hipped slate roofs generally, with wide eaves on shaped brackets; pyramidal lead roof with tapering finial to tower; brick stacks, some truncated. EXTERIOR: entrance front: 2 storeys, 5 bays. Central bay breaks forward and projects further as 1-storey Doric porch of paired detached columns and entablature with dentilled cornice. Doors are panelled with square-pane overlight in keyed round-arched architrave between paired pilasters. Windows are largely 1-pane sashes with 4-pane secondary glazing and have cambered brick arches and stone sills. Raised moulded first floor band encircles building. Front to The Mount: 2 storeys, 5 bays; centre bays project as 1-storey 3-window segmental bow forming balcony to first floor. Windows are square-headed and separated by pilasters supporting entablature and pierced parapet. Flanking windows altered to casements: on first floor they repeat those on entrance front. Rear has 4-storey extruded tower with rusticated stone ground floor. French window on first floor and two round headed sash windows on second floor have cantilevered balconies with heavy balustrades. Top floor has round-arched sash windows to each face, those on two opposed faces separated by external stacks. INTERIOR: represents the only extensive example of Art Nouveau decor in York and is one of the finest and most complete surviving in England. It was illustrated in 'The Studio' in 1901. Stairhall and principal ground floor rooms are panelled and decorated with wall and ceiling paintings and stencils. One fireplace has marble overmantel inlaid with glass and ceramics. The 2-storey stairhall has a stencilled barrel vaulted ceiling with original pendant light fitting: staircase with turned balusters leads to first floor gallery. Many windows incorporate original stained glass. HISTORICAL NOTE: George Walton worked in Glasgow and was a contemporary of Charles Rennie Mackintosh. One of the pioneers of Art Nouveau, his work at Elm Bank is some of his earliest outside Scotland. Between 1898 and 1902, he worked from premises in York at No.21 Stonegate (qv). (RCHME: City of York: London: 1972-: CIV; Moon K: George Walton: Designer and Architect: Oxford: 1993-: 63-70).

Listing NGR: SE5925650917


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York III South West, (1972), CIV
Moon, K, George Walton Designer and Architect, (1993), 63-70


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/05070/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Broadribb. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].