ABBEY PARK HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256447

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1997

Statutory Address: ABBEY PARK HOTEL, 77 AND 79, THE MOUNT

Map

Ordnance survey map of ABBEY PARK HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256447 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 13:16:56.

Location

Statutory Address: ABBEY PARK HOTEL, 77 AND 79, THE MOUNT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 59545 51194

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE5951SE THE MOUNT 1112-1/20/1074 (South East side) 14/06/54 Nos.77 AND 79 Abbey Park Hotel (Formerly Listed as: THE MOUNT No.77 Abbey Park Hotel)

GV II

Two houses, now hotel. 1831/32 and designed by Peter Atkinson for Alderman William Dunsley. Brick with painted stone dressings and slate roof. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys plus an attic storey and cellars. The facade to The Mount is of 3 bays and has a painted stone plinth, a cornice below the 2 attic windows, and a gutter cornice. The windows are glazing bar sashes with painted lintels. The central window on the ground floor is a restoration: an RCHM photograph shows a doorway in this position. Chimney to right. Adjoining to the right is a second former house, also part of the hotel. It is lower, of 3 storeys and 2 bays. The ground floor has C20 polished stone cladding and a glazed entrance. The upper storeys have glazing bar sashes with painted rusticated lintels with a leaf pattern on their keystones. Further C20 additions to the right. The left-hand return wall of No.77, facing Park Street, is similar in detail to the 3 bays facing The Mount. It is of 4 bays, plus a right-hand bay which is blank except for a ground-floor window. The windows are glazing bar sashes, except for the 2 left-hand attic windows which are centre-pivoted. The 4th window on the 2nd floor is a blind glazing bar sash. Only the windows to the 3rd and 4th bays, above the wide entrance, have painted stone or stucco lintels. This entrance has 2 engaged Greek Doric columns in antis with fluted necking, a plain frieze and cornice, and flanking lights. The glazed door is C20. Adjoining to the left is a 3-bay C20 extension in a similar style. INTERIOR: not inspected: RCHM record Italian marble fireplace for the drawing room; black Kendal marble fireplace for the dining room. No.79 is included in the list for the first time. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 127).

Listing NGR: SE5954551194

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464887

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York III South West, (1972), 127

End of official listing