Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256462.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Dec-2021 at 11:24:27.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

York (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE 58740 49741



SE5849NE TADCASTER ROAD, Dringhouses 1112-1/26/1213 (West side) 24/06/83 No.32 Cross Keys Hotel


Hotel. Early C18 with alterations in late C18 and 1900. Brick in Flemish bond. Roof pantiled above eaves courses of plain tiles. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys plus attics and 3 bays. The outer bays have 2-storey canted bay windows with glazing bar sashes on brick bases and with flat roofs above cornices. At 1st floor level in the centre there is a blocked window opening with elliptical arch, with a smaller glazing bar sash window within the blocking. The attic dormers are plain tiled and have moulded pedimented gables and glazing bar sashes. In the centre on the ground floor there is a wide carriageway with an elliptical arch, now blocked, but containing narrow windows with glazing bars to each side of an added porch. This porch has a pediment on console brackets, and a door architrave. To the left of the blocked carriageway there is evidence of further rebuilding, including part of a brick band. The left-hand return wall, facing south towards St Helen's Road, has two 2-storey canted bay windows similar to those to the front elevation. The roof above is half-hipped, with a gable above a wide dormer which has casements with glazing bars. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records original staircase with turned balusters with knops, square newels and moulded handrail. An inn has existed on this site since c1250. (RCHME: City of York: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 117).

Listing NGR: SE5874049741


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York III South West, (1972), 117


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05527/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Broadribb. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]