This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1256466



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1983

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1997

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 464863

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SE5849NE TADCASTER ROAD, Dringhouses 1112-1/26/1217 (East side) 24/06/83 Church of St Edward the Confessor (Formerly Listed as: TADCASTER ROAD, Dringhouses Church of St Edward)


Parish church. 1847-9 by Vickers and Hugall of Pontefract. Vestry enlarged 1902, and spire renewed 1970. MATERIALS: squared limestone, with green slate roofs. Fibreglass spire. PLAN: the church has an aisleless nave, west bell turret, north porch, lower chancel, and south-east vestry. EXTERIOR: the west wall has diagonal buttresses, and a central buttress reducing in 4 stages. To each side there is a moulded pointed window of 2 lights with Geometrical tracery. At the apex of the gable there is a 4-sided bell turret, set diagonally and carried on moulded corbelling. Its lowest stage has a clock face facing north-west, and the bell openings are pointed and cusped. The spire is of fibreglass imitating ashlar. The south wall of the nave is of 4 bays separated by buttresses. The windows are moulded and pointed and have Geometrical tracery. Except for the western window, which is of one light, they are of 2 lights. The north wall of the nave has 2 similar windows. The gabled porch has a moulded pointed doorway with angle shafts which have foliated caps, and with C20 glazed doors. Below the apex of the gable there is a niche with a statue of St Edward the Confessor. The north wall of the chancel has two 2-light windows with more elaborate mouldings which include ball flower decoration and with hood moulds which have head stops. The east window of the chancel is of 3 lights with Geometrical tracery and has ornamentation which includes ball flower decoration and shafts with foliated caps. The south wall of the vestry has windows with plain pointed lights, of 2 lights to the left of the door and one to the right. The east wall of the vestry has a flat head and 2 trefoiled ogee lights. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM record the interior as painted and gilded, with painted texts and inscribed scrolls in relief: Minton tiled floor. Nave roof supported on demi-angel holding shields. FITTINGS: include octagonal stone pulpit and font, wooden pews and carved choir stalls. The stained glass was designed for the church by William Wailes, 1849. Memorial window of 1932 to Mrs G Brierley by Bewsey. MONUMENTS: include: in Vestry, monument to Samuel Francis Barlow, 1800, removed from earlier chapel: white on grey marble with fluted base, moulded cornice, with draped urn on

pedestal between two flaming lamps, signed Wm.Stead, York. (Bartholomew City Guides: Hutchinson J and Palliser DM: York: Edinburgh: 1980-: 288; RCHME: City of York: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 38-40).

Listing NGR: SE5877149689

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York III South West, (1972), 38-40
Hutchinson, J, Palliser, D M, 'Bartholomew City Guides' in York, (1980), 288

National Grid Reference: SE 58771 49689


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256466 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 11:53:35.

End of official listing