31, STONEGATE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1256520
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1954
Statutory Address:
31, STONEGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 31, STONEGATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256520.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2019 at 22:35:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
31, STONEGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 60267 52045

Details

YORK

SE6052SW STONEGATE 1112-1/27/1026 (South East side) 14/06/54 No.31

GV II*

Formerly known as: No.21 STONEGATE. House, now shop and offices. Late C17, refronted late C18; late C18 shopfront, altered mid C19; other later alterations. MATERIALS: front of orange brick in Flemish bond, ground floor of painted render; left return of orange-red brick in English garden-wall bond on chamfered brick plinth; rear rendered: partly hipped pantile roof, with timber cornice and brick stack. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 2-window front. Shopfront incorporates open passage entry beneath flat lintel. Curved glazed and sunk-panelled double doors on passage corner to left of 3-light window with moulded mullions. Window framed in plain pilasters with heavy scrolled consoles and pendants at the head, beneath full-width cornice enriched with composition rosettes, festoons and drops. First and second floor windows are 12-pane sashes with flat arches of orange gauged brick, with painted sill band to those on first floor, painted sills on second floor. Moulded eaves cornice. Left return to Coffee Yard: door of 6 panels with carved borders of anthemion and acanthus in architrave enriched with flutes and rosettes, beneath frieze of festoons and putti. INTERIOR: cellar retains fireplace with mid C19 kitchen range. Ground floor: open-well staircase to attic has heavy moulded close string, bulbous balusters, square newels with attached half balusters and pendants, and heavy moulded handrail terminating in volutes at the foot. First floor: landing has cupboard door of 2 raised and fielded panels with drawers beneath. Front room has window and door architraves richly decorated with composition mouldings including ribbon and flower, and fret enclosing rosettes; fireplace with satyrs' heads, vines and grapes on jambs, frieze of rinceaux with Bacchus in centre panel; skirting is moulded and dado rail enriched with flutes and paterae. Rear room has 6-panel door and blocked bolection-moulded fireplace. Second floor: from landing, doors of 2 moulded panels in beaded architraves lead to both rooms. Front room has boarded corner fireplace with frieze of ribbons, festoons and paterae and moulded cornice shelf. Back room has plain fireplace with hob grate and plank cupboard door. Attic: two 2-panel doors survive. In the late C18, house was owned by John and William Staveley, carvers and gilders. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 231).

Listing NGR: SE6026752045

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464825
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 231

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/05116/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Arthur B. Bellwood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].