35A, STONEGATE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256525

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: 35A, STONEGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 35A, STONEGATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256525 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 23:10:41.

Location

Statutory Address: 35A, STONEGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60279 52060

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6052SW STONEGATE 1112-1/27/1031 (South East side) 14/06/54 No.35A

GV II

Formerly known as: No.24 STONEGATE. House, now shop. c1700 with later C18 extension; extension altered in early C19; late C19 shopfront. Orange brick in Flemish bond with timber shopfront and cornice; window arches of white gauged brick: pantile roof with brick stacks. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 3-window front. Full-width shopfront framed in plain pilasters with moulded imposts and moulded cornice on carved brackets has 3-light window with moulded mullions and transom, recessed glazed shop door to left, 4-panel passage door with overlight to right. Passage door overlight advertises: 'J W Knowles/ Stained Glass/ Leaded Lights/ Decorations'. First and second floor windows are 4-pane sashes, those on first floor lengthened with renewed painted stone sills, those on second floor retaining original moulded sills. Moulded and modillioned cornice. INTERIOR: ground floor: front part of shop has one wall panelled to full height with raised panelling, the other panelled below moulded dado rail. Elliptical arch on paired pilasters with acanthus capitals leads to rear extension. Door in back wall has radial fanlight in round-arched doorcase with pilasters and capitals enriched with composition mouldings. First floor: staircase with close strings, bulbous balusters, square newels and plain handrail rises to attic: lowest flights removed. Front room has moulded cornice; timber-framed cross wall of No.35 (qv) is exposed. Second floor: front room has corner fireplace; rear room has fireplace in plain stone surround. HISTORICAL NOTE: from 1762 to 1837 the building was Todd's Book and Print Warehouse, illustrated in 1797 by Henry Cave. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 234; Murray H, Riddick S & Green R: York through the Eyes of the Artist: York City Art Gallery: 1990-: 91).



Listing NGR: SE6027952060

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464830

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 234
Murray, H, Riddick, S, Green, R, York Through the Eyes of the Artist, (1990), 91

End of official listing