37, STONEGATE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1256527

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: 37, STONEGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 37, STONEGATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256527 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 13:04:24.

Location

Statutory Address: 37, STONEGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60285 52064

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6052SW STONEGATE 1112-1/27/1033 (South East side) 14/06/54 No.37

GV II*

Formerly known as: No.24 STONEGATE. Two houses of terrace of three; now one shop. Mid C18, altered to shop in early C19; further alteration and extension later. Orange brick in Flemish bond with timber shopfront and eaves cornice; timber doorcase with cast-iron glazing bars to fanlight; pantile roof. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 4-window front. Shopfront framed in sunk-panel pilasters with beaded foliate consoles and pendants at the head. Stone steps lead to glazed double doors beneath ornate fanlight in round-arched architrave with impost band enriched with flutes and pellets: flanking shop windows are shallow small-pane bows beneath moulded bowed friezes with mask stops. Doors surmounted by spurious cartouche of arms. To right of shopfront is doorcase of fluted Corinthian columns and bowed fluted frieze with floral stops: door of 6 beaded panels beneath radial fanlight recessed in panelled round-arched opening with impost band enriched with flutes and pellets. Tympanum filled with garlanded grotesque mask. Windows on first floor are 12-pane sashes with sill band cased in lead, on second floor unequal 9-pane sashes with painted stone sills. All windows have flat arches of orange gauged brick, those on second floor covered by moulded and modillioned cornice. INTERIOR: slender fluted columns support ground floor ceiling. Rear extension lit by domed roof light. (Murray H: Heraldry and the Buildings of York: York: 1985-; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 234-5).

Listing NGR: SE6028552064

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464832

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 234-235
Murray, H , Heraldry and the Buildings of York, (1985)

End of official listing