This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE KIOSK

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE KIOSK

List entry Number: 1256561

Location

THE KIOSK, STOCKTON LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Mar-1997

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 464774

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6152NE STOCKTON LANE 1112-1/11/1003 (North side) The Kiosk

II

Electrobus booster station and terminus; now shop. 1915; altered 1922. Designed by the City Engineer. Orange-brown brick in English garden-wall bond, some rusticated and some herring-bone infilling to planted timber-framing; tiled gableted roof with overhanging bracketed eaves. EXTERIOR: 1-storey structure of 2 unequal bays articulated by rusticated brick piers. Bay to left has 3-leaf glazed folding door between 1-light fixed windows set in planted timber-framed screen. Bay to right has 2-light window at rear of former shelter recess. Left return has 2-light window; right return plain door. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: the building was designed for the dual functions of terminus shelter and battery re-charging station for electrobuses introduced into the City in 1915 and operated to Heworth until 1920. In 1922 permission was granted for the conversion of the building to tobacco and sweet kiosk. York was one of only eight towns in Britain to run battery operated electrobuses. (York Historian: Murray H: Electrobuses in York: York: 1990-: 68-84).

Listing NGR: SE6156252827

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Murray, H, 'York Historian' in Electrobuses In York, (1990), 68-84

National Grid Reference: SE 61562 52827

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256561 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 03:57:19.

End of official listing