BUILDING ATTACHED TO SOUTH WEST CORNER OF LADY ANNE MIDDLETONS HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256599

Date first listed: 14-Mar-1997

Statutory Address: BUILDING ATTACHED TO SOUTH WEST CORNER OF LADY ANNE MIDDLETONS HOTEL, SKELDERGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BUILDING ATTACHED TO SOUTH WEST CORNER OF LADY ANNE MIDDLETONS HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256599 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 19:25:50.

Location

Statutory Address: BUILDING ATTACHED TO SOUTH WEST CORNER OF LADY ANNE MIDDLETONS HOTEL, SKELDERGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60195 51393

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6051SW SKELDERGATE 1112-1/21/915 (South West side) Building attached to south-west corner of Lady Anne Middleton's Hotel

GV II

Organ manufactory, now part of hotel. c1880; altered early C20, renovated c1989. Front of red brick in Flemish bond, with bands and dressings of cream or black brick; right side and rear of mottled red brick in variant of English garden-wall bond. Slate roof, gabled to front with timber valance, bargeboards and finial. EXTERIOR: 2-storey front. Inserted C20 door in left return. Ground floor of main front has two lancet windows with decorative glazing and a stone sill. Pointed window arches, 3-course sill band and 1-course impost band of contrasting brick. Right window blind. First floor window is of tripled lancets with bordered decorative glazing and stone sills on quarter round moulded sill blocks. Other detailing as for ground floor windows. In attic, cross-glazed oculus in contrasting brick surround. Contrasting brick frieze and console cornice to gable end. To left of first floor windows, rectangular plate to tie rod, visible within building. INTERIOR: windows incorporate stained glass panels. Building roofed on 2 king post trusses with single side purlins, partly carried on spurs, partly trenched-in. HISTORICAL NOTE: building continued in use as an organ-builder's workshop, occupied by Walter Hopkins, until 1921, when the premises were sold. A notice advertising the sale on 21 July 1921, of "valuable Organ Builder's Stock in Trade", which included a steam engine, displayed in the upstairs room at time of survey.



Listing NGR: SE6019551393

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464720

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing