Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256615

Date first listed: 24-Sep-1971



Ordnance survey map of THE OLD RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256615 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2019 at 04:16:42.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon (District Authority)

Parish: Heybridge

National Grid Reference: TL 84689 08631


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TL80NW LANGFORD ROAD, Heybridge 574-1/1/264 (North side) 24/09/71 The Old Rectory


House. 1763 and earlier. Timber-framed and rendered with some painted brick; plain tile roofs, the front range hipped with off-centre ridgeline stack; 2 stacks to rear. L-plan. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attics; symmetrical 5-window range. Front has 2-storey canted bay window to each end, with flat roof and sashes, those on 1st floor with margin glazing, those on ground floor with 12 panes. The centre has three 12-pane sashes on 1st floor and similar windows on ground floor, one either side of a pedimented porch with Tuscan columns and Tuscan respond pilasters and white boarded infilling to flanks with hexagonal subdivided windows; behind this is a Gibbs surround with keystone and door of 9 small panels over a diagonally boarded panel. The east flank elevation is of painted brick with one C20 small-paned sash window and a doorcase with pediment, inverted volutes, and a door of 9 panels over a panel of diagonal boarding. The long west elevation has exposed stack and one hipped dormer with a 2-light small-paned casement. The 1st floor has one 9-pane sash, two 12-pane sashes, one 16-pane sash, a 6-light casement and one 6-pane sash, all with moulded surrounds. The ground floor has two 20-pane sashes, one 12-pane sash and a doorcase with hood and consoles with door of 6 small panels over diagonal boarded panel. The rear elevation has a return gable elevation to the north-east with a 2-light casement in attic, 2 coupled 8-pane sashes on 1st floor and 2 coupled 12-pane sash windows on ground floor. A parallel rear range has a hipped tile gambrel roof 2 hipped dormers with 2-light small-paned casements. The rear wall has a large Venetian window with small panes to the staircase, a 6-pane fixed window and two C20 windows. The rear of the western wing is extremely complex with 4 lean-to structures, one jettied out from the 1st floor and 2 of red brick. Large stack on this rear elevation and large T-plan stack at west end of gambrel ridge. INTERIOR: the east wing shows remnants of timber-framing including moulded spine beam. The main open-well staircase with shaped tread ends, column-on-vase balusters and wreathed handrail. A rear stair arch on 1st floor landing is moulded, with moulded capitals on pilasters and keystone. The west wing

has enclosed remnants of pargeted gable with date of 1763; a 1st-floor room has bolection-moulded fireplace with mantel shelf; fireplace on ground floor has reused c1500 moulded floor joists as jambs.

Listing NGR: TL8468908631


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464736

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing