This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WAR MEMORIAL IN SOUTH CHURCHYARD WALL OF CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WAR MEMORIAL IN SOUTH CHURCHYARD WALL OF CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1256629

Location

WAR MEMORIAL IN SOUTH CHURCHYARD WALL OF CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Maldon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Oct-1996

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 464705

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MALDON

TL8407SE HIGH STREET 574-1/6/127 (North side) War memorial in south churchyard wall of Church of All Saints

GV II

First World War memorial. c1920 altered 1946. Portland stone with bronze plaque insert. Perpendicular-style memorial on 2 stone steps of octagonal plan form. Main part is an octagonal stone drum with finials to buttresses, and a crocketed ogee arch with cinquefoiled head on each face, containing a bronze plaque. Crenellated cornice and tent-like top sweeping up to small octagonal drum with cornice of Tudor-flower ornament and trefoil-headed panels. This forms base for a tapering octagonal cross shaft with cross of 4 major trefoiled arms and with 4 minor diagonal arms with smaller trefoil terminations. Memorial is set in recess of low south churchyard wall which has coping of stone, and wrought-iron railings enclosing 3 bronze plaques (one missing) commemorating 1939-45 war.



Listing NGR: TL8494107048

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 12 January 2017.

Selected Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 12 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/101560
War Memorials Register, accessed 12 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/22538

National Grid Reference: TL 84941 07048

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256629 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 08:05:21.

End of official listing