PLUME LIBRARY, INCLUDING TOWER OF FORMER CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1256632
Date first listed:
02-Oct-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
08-Oct-1996
Statutory Address:
PLUME LIBRARY, INCLUDING TOWER OF FORMER CHURCH OF ST PETER, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PLUME LIBRARY, INCLUDING TOWER OF FORMER CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256632.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2019 at 05:54:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
PLUME LIBRARY, INCLUDING TOWER OF FORMER CHURCH OF ST PETER, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Maldon (District Authority)
Parish:
Maldon
National Grid Reference:
TL 85092 07055

Details

MALDON

TL8507SW HIGH STREET 574-1/7/128 (North side) 02/10/51 Plume Library, including tower of former Church of St Peter (Formerly Listed as: HIGH STREET (North side) Plume Library and St Peter's Church Tower)

GV I

Public library, incorporating the west tower of the former Church of St Peter. Tower of late C14, upper part rebuilt; library c1699 with addition of 2 bays at east end 1821. Restored by Ewan Christian in 1875. Tower flint and septaria rubble, ashlar and red brick dressings. Library red brick in Flemish bond with some burnt headers; stone dressings; slate roof. PLAN: 3-stage west tower with angle buttresses with stair turret to north-east which gives access to upper floor of library, which is of 2 storeys; 7-bay range. EXTERIOR: tower has buttresses heavily restored with bands of tiling and brick. Blocked west door has 2-centred head, continuously-moulded double-chamfered reveals and label. 2-light west window with Perpendicular tracery and small fragments of stained glass in head. 2-centred south door is later insertion. Single lights to bell or ringing chamber and crenellated top stage. Tower arch is double-chamfered with attached-column responds with moulded capitals. Library has quoins, a first floor plat band, plinth and coved cornice. Windows have cross-casements with leaded lights under gauged arches with keyblocks. C20 door to south side in former window opening. INTERIOR: ground floor has C20 library fittings. First floor has contemporary panelling with fluted pilasters at angles and centre of end wall. Cornice. Peninsula bookcases between windows. 1920s fireplace with Jacobean overmantel. End room in added 2 bays has reused panelling of similar date and blocked fireplace. HISTORY: the nave of St Peter's church collapsed in 1665. The library, which originally housed the grammar school on the ground floor, was given to the town by Dr Thomas Plume on his death in 1704. It is one of the oldest public libraries in England, containing over 7,000 volumes, mainly of the C16-C17. (RCHME: Essex: 1921-: 178).

Listing NGR: TL8509207055

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464708
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921), 178

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08444/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Martin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].